Today marked the end of the second week. We have two more to go. It was a great week, in which we now better understand the large LB (cultic) building in Area B, and expanded the 8th century building in Area A. In A it appears that the Israeli defenders of Tel Burna in 1948 dug a very deep foxhole into the southern end of this building – one of our goals over the next two weeks is to find the end of this pit and hopefully stop finding bullet casings and start finding LMLK seal impressions 🙂 In B we uncovered our 4th “cup and saucer” in addition to large amounts of restorable 13th century BCE pottery. We also have a large circular installation that appears to be a silo in area B – (of course we are hoping for a favissa :)) – Andrea’s flotation work with the material from inside this installation will hopefully provide some answers next week for this interesting feature.
We also had the pleasure of showing the site to Jeff Blakely who came with Michelle Stillinger (of the Tell el-Hesi Project) who sampled one of the LB tabuns for her paleomagnetism study. This should make for some interesting joint research in the future.
It was also the last day of Caitlin and Jacob and we hope to see them in the future at Tel Burna.
Now some pictures…